Thursday, September 6, 2012

September 6th

Second to last day of teaching and it is starting to hit me a little bit.

Thursday mornings are usually laid back with a spare and a class that combines with two other classes. One of the other teachers during that session is a female that i've gotten close with and it was sad to talk about the last classes and when i'm flying out.

The afternoon went really well with my 12th graders and sex ed class. I decided that honestly, i wasnt going to pull teeth the last week im here with my 12 year class. I gave them a choice day and because it is starting to get really hot, they wanted to play basketball inside. I was actually astonished by how much effort they put into the games. We played half court 3-4 on each teach and rotated after every point with the winner staying on. They did this non stop fr a solid 40 minutes. They also wanted to play dodgeball and were begging to, so after their drink break we switched. It ended up being Australians vs. Italians/Germans/ Americans. Everyone was really into and although I was really concerned about the teams, no one really cared or did it on purpose. They just surrounded themselves with the friends they are most comfortable with. They sweated more during basketball and dodgeball then ever before.

Last session we played football. I had three teams and rotated after about 6-8 minutes. These students didn't fully understand the game as much as the 12 years did but they still played and tried.

After school I walked over to the primary school because I was invited into a year 6 classroom. One of my other colleagues, Tyler, does an art project each week with his students and this week it had to do with the Jewish religion. He came to me asking if I would want to come in and talk about my family traditions, chanukah and specifically what we used a dreidel for because that was what the students were making. It was so different being in a class like this but it was also a lot of fun to talk about my life and the students asked a bunch of questions.

One more day to go :(

No comments:

Post a Comment