Thursday, July 12, 2012

First week is over...


Friday! Fridays are always fun but a little more difficult because kids are just as ready for the weekend as the teachers are. It rained again so not everything went as planned…again.

First session I went with Beka’s host teacher Kim because they are doing team sports this term and Cameron is doing Aerobics. This switch is only on Friday’s but it works out well because Beka is already doing Aerobics with two of her other classes and she really enjoys that aspect of Physed. I much rather do different team sports and we will be doing a bunch of American sports this term. Since it was raining though, we played a form of dodgeball with another class that has P.E. also. The other teacher called it medics and it had all regular dodgeball rules, but when someone gets hit, they go to centerline and lay down on their stomach facing their team. There are designated medics that need to go and “save” them by picking them up to their feet. Medics also have a coned off safe zone. It is a good way to keep everyone active instead of students sitting out. When all 3 medics get hit, the game is over. This form of dodgeball has a lot of tactics in it and team planning because they need to protect the medics. Medics can’t touch any ball, throwing or catching, so their teammates need to help them get to the middle and back with out getting hit. I saw one team gain all 5 balls and then the medics had the freedom to save all the players who got out at once with out rushing and running away.

Second session today was free so Cameron gave me all the files on the computer for out lecture classes to put on my usb flash drive. I reviewed all the different work sheets and powerpoints they already have. The P.E. department has almost all their lectures planned out on their system and tells you what to teach each week. I will be going through those and planning some group work because I need to have it last 70 minutes. Right now that is my biggest concern, even though teaching sex ed to immature 14 year olds is pretty nerve racking, im more nervous about only having it last half the time. I will have to get used to this as I go along and Cameron said he is going to help the first few times.

We did another movie in class for third session but it was actually very educational. It’s a series developed by ABC called “Whatever” and each episode is about something else. We watched one on binge drinking and one on adolescent risky behavior. Each one followed 3 students and how they were an adrenaline junkie or alcoholic. It was very real and updated unlike the old boring things I used to watch in middle or high school.

Last session we played a regular game of jailbreak dodgeball, another round of the game Cortland professors hate. When you got out, you went behind the opposing team and had to catch a ball your teammate threw to you. Even though this class was 8th graders, I noticed that their catching was very poor. I joked around to Cameron that we may have to do a unit on catching.

Beka and I ate lunch with everyone today in Bribie and even though we always do, I feel that today we were both talking a lot more and having regular conversation with a lot of the other teachers. Ive started to joke around with a few of them making fun of either sitting in the same chair all day or making gourmet meals for lunch. I don’t feel like a student teacher at all, It just seems as if I am one of them and it’s a great feeling.

One week down, eight more to go. Weird and a bit sad!    

No comments:

Post a Comment