Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 26th


Today was a pretty awesome day but with the weekends coming tomorrow, students are getting a bit distracted.

Second session we played a big game of soccer with the 3 classes out on the ovals that are finally open. Half way through, I suggested giving the students who are just standing around the option to walk around the track. Once those students were out of the way and happy, a really good soccer game was going on. There was no real instruction part of this class and there are already 3 teachers there. I gather once all the ovals are open, we will split up and I will teach only my class.

During the third session, we had our final rounds of European Handball with my year 12 students that really love the game. With two games going on at one, no one was sitting out and everyone was having a good time. At times some of them got to rough or just silly and I would just give them a short break to get themselves together.

Fourth session I did another final lesson of European handball with my sex ed class. I told the deputy principal to come and observe me during this session and even though I knew exactly what I was doing, I also knew there were two students that could make things extremely difficult. I wasn’t nervous really but I went into the lesson trying to be proactive with those students and then it turned into being reactive once or twice giving them consequences. It was good for the principal to see me handle behavior problems though. During the warm up activity, I tried to add an addiction rule with 10 pass and make a number order but it didn’t go as well as I hoped for simply because the students weren’t moving around that much. I decided to switch over to playing real games. I put them on two teams 8v8 and the students actually got really into the game once they got the hang of it. It became competitive and more fun when everyone was putting more effort into it. Although something might not have worked or I had two kids fooling around the whole time, I think those are both important things for a supervisor to see how I deal with that. I think it is actually one of my strengths dealing with discipline and managing so I hope the principal agrees!

Great reports back from my principal! Makes me feel that much more certain that I chose the right path for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment