Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24th


During my free first session I planned a bit more for my decision making lesson and looked at some great lessons I can use for my sex ed class. I got a whole list of websites that I can use during class or for myself.

Second session was in the gym but this class really tries hard and they all get a pretty good work out. I learned a lot about the students while I went around talking to them. Found out what outside activities they do such as competition dancing and aerobics, and soccer. I also had a conversation about the uniforms with a few girls because all the girls where the boys uniform rugby shorts instead of the uniform girl shorts. Apparently the girl shorts are see through.

  We only had half of the third session for rugby class because the other half was assigned to ECP sign up. ECP is basically parent conferences when the parent and student come in to talk to a teacher. Students are assigned to a teacher even if they don’t have them. They will sign up for times between 1pm and 8 pm, which means I wont have to be in school till 12:30!

Last session I did a lesson on decision making in my binge drinking class. I found different scenarios that were a beginning to a story and the students had to finish the story. I let them do creative writing and make it as silly or serious as they want. I then read each scenario and would have 1 group member finish. Depending on the story, I would have the students think about what they would do if that happened to them or what could happen. Some of the stories they came up with happened to be really serious and we would get into a discussion about death after drinking and suffocating from your vomit or jumping off balconies into pools. When the students had to be serious, they were and asked great questions and had good answers. I really enjoyed teaching decision making through different stories that can happen because it makes everything more realistic. Sitting there telling year 12 to say no is really unrealistic especially since they have 2 weeks after graduating called “schoolies”. These 2 weeks the students go away somewhere and it’s equal to a college or high school spring break. I have to talk to them about decisions they make after they start drinking, dangerous situations and helping friends.

I feel comfortable taking over the binge drinking class but I don’t want to get too repetitive with what I teach. I also don’t want to sit and lecture, I need to continue making activities for them because that is when they pay attention more, they aren’t bored and we are all enjoying ourselves while learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment