Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July 18th


This rain is getting a little out of control and causing a lot of crowded situations in the gymnasium for P.E. teachers. The first session we had four classes, about 70 students all in one area. All the teachers decided to set up fitness tests including sit-ups, sit and reach, push ups, agility, sprint, broad jump and the pacer test. It got everyone moving for majority of the time, which is the biggest concern when dealing with that many students in a small space.

I taught basketball the next class to Beka’s host teacher’s class and another class. I started with the 3 man weave just as a warm up because they are 12th graders and I was told they would want to get into a game as soon as possible. They learned it pretty quick and I changed up the style of pass from bounce to chest. Once another class came in to use the other side of the gymnasium, I used the 3 hoops for 3 stations. I started with a big game of knock out and then if they got out, they moved to the station where you dribble and try to knock another persons ball out and once you’re out there, you move to a shooting exercise. The students didn’t know what knock out was so I had to teach them. It was easier once they started to play because knock out is actually a bit difficult to explain. After the stations we played mini games of basketball. I soon realized that these students really don’t know the basics of basketball and that I need to focus on skills next class. I went into the class assuming that 12th graders would know the basics but I shouldn’t have made those assumptions. There were students double dribbling, traveling, and dribbling with both hands. I was very happy with the way I managed the class and got their attention through out everything. I used a lot of checking for understanding techniques and made sure the students didn’t have equipment in their hands to distract them. I know exactly what I will be doing next class based on what I saw today but it’s a shame that we are only doing each team sport for a week, which is only two classes.

During my free third session, Cameron and I talked about the rest of the week and some of next week. We decided that because this morning’s class will start doing dance with the 2 other classes, Beka and I are going to teach dance together to start. I also planned a skill-focused lesson for Friday’s basketball session.

It wasn’t raining out fourth session but we still couldn’t use the ovals so our rugby class and another teacher’s rugby class went to the empty parking lot and played a version of cricket. It was a bit confusing at first but after a little while I got the hang of it, but still think it is just as boring as baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment