Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 11th- Athletic Carnival


Today was the Athletic Carnival, just a massive track meet with all the students’ year 8 to year 12. They had the same events as we would have in New York such as triple jump, long jump, shot put, discus, and a bunch of dashes and relay races. One thing I never saw before was this little turbo javelin. I will try and find a picture and post one below. The carnival took place at the university nearby so Beka’s host teacher picked us up this morning to go. We all were praying for no rain on the ride over. Even though the field was really wet and muddy from the day before, it was a nice morning for the events. We got hit by bad weather trying to finish the senior events but ended up just cancelling and sending them home. The weather was on and off for a while so we tried to get the juniors in a few events. By 12:30 they cancelled everything and sent everyone back to the school. Lucky for Beka and I, we are only in school till 12:55 every day and didn’t have to go back to the school. I was a pretty cold and rainy day but I met and talked to so many people. Mostly everyone knows there are two American students at the school now till September. I also saw a lot of my students and had a few small talks with them. Although the women in charge, Madonna, told Beka and I that we would be helping…there were a lot of teachers there and a bunch of us didn’t have much to do. I helped with a few little things like handing out morning tea and handing out the ribbons to those who came in 1st to 3rd.

It was a good experience to have with the school because I did become more comfortable around everyone. Tomorrow I think I am jumping in on the teaching and hopefully it will all go okay.

Javelin that was used during the event. I am sure we have these in the states but I have always seen the really long sharp ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment