Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 15th


First session for dance we taught the gypsie tap and it went mediocre. They got the dance but it wasn’t as exciting as the last dance we taught so I guess they were a little bored. But we only did that for a little bit because they needed to get into groups and start their assignment. Each group has to make up a dance that will be video tapped. There are a certain amount of counts the dance has to be and other requirements like changing directions, feet movement, arm movement and partner dancing. They can take moves from all the dances we’ve done already and will need to use their own music that the teachers will check before. So the teaching is basically over for this class because they will be working in groups for the rest of the term to make their dances up.

Second session went great with another successful basketball lesson. We did a jump shot drill that would help the students receive the ball and take the shot quickly and properly. I then set them up in lines with windows so I can see everyone and went over the defense stance. I had them sliding from side to side depending on where I was dribbling. The students so far have been running and tripping over their feet while playing defense, so it was important to teach them to slide their feet instead. A short game of horse and a half court competition took place before full games. They’ve been dying to take half court shots and I usually don’t let them so I decided today to have a well-organized and safe way to let them shoot. During the full games we made a requirement to set a pick before a shot and the students started to realize that if there is no defense, you couldn’t score. They thought they were clever but it really bothered those students who really enjoy playing. I asked them not to ruin the fun and game for them and they started to play defense.

These students are getting much better at basketball and I love the fact that im part of this growth. They’ve all noticed how much better they know the game and how they make more shots. Times like this, I realize again why I am in this field of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment