Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August 2nd


Second session I had a pretty difficult class of 10th graders. Planned on doing two stations to warm up with and then a drill before playing a game. I only got through the two mini exercises and going straight into the game. I did have a problem with one of the groups when a girl started to chuck soccer balls at another person. I had to sit them down and tell them that it is not okay to disrespect each other, the equipment or me. I had to go over rules that 10th graders should know but that I clearly had to restate. The girls were really hard to motivate during this class and after everything, I didn’t feel all that great about the lesson. I didn’t get to really teach, it was more of a play type session. Cameron gave me some really good pointers though and advice on what I might want to rethink and change for the future during this session.

Third session I had what I thought would be a really intense game of speedball. Some of the students were a bit lazy and the girls were all standing together. This class is typically really good so im hoping they were just having an off day and that they’ll be back to their usual competitive selves next time.

Last session was awesome; it couldn’t have gone better. I sat with them in the beginning to go over how they should behave. Told them about not talking over me, and they were really good for the whole class. If that’s what I have to do each class, remind them of my rules, then I will but I hope they can also just remember and respect me.  They asked to play a warm up game that was straight running to one side with out getting tagged so I let them do two rounds of that while I set up the drill. I got them situated into four lines and we practiced punting the ball to another student about 10 feet away. The students were really good at this but some still needed a little help. I had a student demonstrate the kick while I talked through each aspect of it. After this drill, we got into a game of speedball. I explained the game rules, answered questions and put them in teams. It took them about five minutes to get the rules right because it’s a little confusing. I was really happy after this class. It was a really good way to end the week because tomorrow I am off to the athletics carnival!

No comments:

Post a Comment